Sunday, February 6, 2022

Servant Leadership

       I attended the symposium “Servant Leadership” online on February 5th, 2022. Dr. Gauna gave us a speech about his life story “From Cleaner to Leader”. He shared his unique journey from a school custodian to the Superintendent. He addressed how principles of servant leadership have helped him become who he is today, and how they can help us.The concept of “servant leadership” challenged my understanding of the leadership. I learned the benefit of the servant leadership and how to become a servant leader.

What does "servant leadership" mean?

       The phrase “servant leadership” came from Robert K. Greenleaf (1978)’s essay “The servant-leader is servant first… It begins with the natural feeling that one wants to serve, to serve first.” Dr. Gauna shared his inspirational life story of how he became a superintendent from a campus monitor and custodian. He emphasized the importance of being humble as a leader. He quoted from John Maxwell: “Leaders become great not because of their power but because of their ability to empower others.” However, in my culture, leaders have the authority to lead the followers. It is an eye-opening experience for me to think and act in a totally different way.  Servant leaders are a revolutionary bunch—they take the traditional power leadership model and turn it completely upside down (Tarallo, 2018). This made me reflect on how the principal empowers me to serve the WASC group in my school instead of commanding me to do things. When looking back at my community of practice, I learned to co-facilitate the group instead of telling my teammates what to do. This is a great practice to be an effective future administrator. From my experience, I agree with Dr. Gauna’s argument “to be a servant leader” by listening to the needs from staff, students, parents, and stakeholders.

What are the two types of leaders?

       Greenleaf (1978) described two types of leaders: servant first and leader-first. A person who is leader first chases the personal power and gains. Meanwhile, the servant first leader puts other people’s success first. Dr. Gauna provided several Biblical references of servant leader, for instance, John 13, verse 1 states: Jesus’s basic motivation was His love for his followers. John 13, verse 5 to 12: Jesus voluntarily becomes a servant to His followers. I agree with Dr. Gauna that Jesus is our role model of putting others before oneself and committing to help others be successful. This guided me to ponder what I should do to become a servant leader.

How should I become a servant leader?

       Firstly, I need to learn active listening skills. Dr. Gauna mentioned the servant leader must be deeply committed to listening to others and listening to one’s inner voice. Reflecting on what is heard is critical. In order to serve the staff, students, and parents, I need to know their needs by listening to their verbal or non-verbal cues to identify the areas that they need support. I will pay full attention to what they express, understand what they say, ask questions, reflect on their speaking, and respond to them. l. I believe when I am an attentive listener, it shows my respect to the speaker. It may help to create a mutually respectful environment. I anticipate the active listening skill can bring a positive impact to my leadership.

       Secondly, I should develop empathy as a future administrator. Dr. Gauna stated the servant leader strives to understand other people and empathize with others. I have been thinking an empathetic leader gives people a weak impression. However, Dr. Gauna argued that the ability to empathize is a powerful skill with the example of Mother Teresa who cared for and helped a lot of poor people. She showed great empathy to socially disadvantaged groups, founded Missionaries of Charity in India, and dedicated her life to improving others’ lives. She showed me how gentle empathy can powerfully help others. How should I be an empathic leader? For example, how to react to the staff who are absent to the staff  meeting. Instead of warning them with the contract regulations, I would ask how I can help them sincerely and email them the agenda and summary of the meeting. I think this can foster a caring and comfortable working environment.

       Thirdly, Dr. Gauna mentioned the servant leadership skill of healing “healing oneself and relationships that need work and creating an environment where healing can occur for those they come in contact with.”  Khan (2017) states that "healing is the quality of being able to resolve issues and conflict. Servant leadership requires you to have healing qualities. This must first be applied to yourself before it can be applied to your followers.”  We need such leaders not only because we are in a global pandemic, but also because we continue to face crises that have harmed our academic institutions and people we serve (Caño, 2021). Now I realized the essence of healing in building servant leadership is to help others to solve problems and help them to be better. In addition, I also need to learn more is about how to develop other people as a future administrator. I need to spend time getting to know each staff member, student, parent,  and allocate time and resources to help them grow. Gomez (2021) suggests tools like organizational training,  development programs, and growth and transformation coaching can help.

Conclusion:

       Even though the concept of servant leadership challenges my traditional understanding of being a leader, I learned some benefits of it: since the servant leader cares about the group, each individual is motivated to contribute the best to the team in a caring environment. The servant leader’s collaborative decision-making encourages teammates’ engagement. The group is more productive when each team member’s perspective is valued. I am willing to learn how to be committed to serving others with humility, sincere concern, a generous, forgiving, and giving heart. I am willing to relate to others and sacrifice personally for the well-being of others, and I am willing to constantly work on their beliefs, thoughts, and servant leadership skills. I will keep Dr. Gauna’s saying “There is nothing more powerful than a humble person with a warrior spirit who is driven by a bigger purpose.” continue to inspire me in the journey of becoming a servant leader.

 

Resources

Caño, A. (2021). Today's Academic Leaders Must Be Healers. Inside Higher Ed.  

       https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2021/08/12/how-be-healing-leader-during-these-difficult-times-opinion

Gomez, A.l. (2021). What are the pros and cons of servant leadership?    

       https://www.betterup.com/blog/servant-leadership-what-makes-it-different

Greenleaf, R.K. (1970). The Servant as Leader. Westfield, IN: The Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership.

Khan, A. (2017). The Ten Tenets of a Servant Leader.

       https://www.360pmo.com/ten-characteristic-servant-leader/

Tarallo, M. (2018). The Art of Servant Leadership.

       https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/organizational-and-employee-development/pages/the-art-of-servant-leadership.aspx


Here are some videos about servant leadership:

1. Servant Leadership! How to become a good servant leader? Is Servant Leadership the right choice?


2. Servant Leadership, Cedarville University



3. Servant leadership : How to lead with the heart ?  Liz Theophille , TEDxSaclay






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Impact of Influencers 网红的抗压力👍

  Li Ziqi 李子柒 The first influencer I selected is Li Ziqi because she has a unique im...